Whilst sorting through our stuff (yes, this process is taking forever) I decided I really should do something about my endless supply of vintage linen. Doilies, place mats, napkins, handkerchiefs, the list goes on and on and I just didn’t think I’d be able to use all of it. I’ve already sold a lot of my lace trims, and I’ve given other stuff away, but what about these larger items? We used a lot of them for our wedding, so I was struggling to part with them. I was laying them out on the table to go through them when it occurred to me that they would make a great patchwork, and as we don’t have a tablecloth, it seemed like the ideal thing to make!
I positioned them all out on the table and pinned them together. I then ran them through the machine, zig zagging them together. This probably wasn’t the correct way to do it, there was a bit of buckling and ruching, but hey! I’m still learning! The result is a little rough around the edges, but I like it that way, and more importantly, I used my linen for something genuinely useful!
My favourite cheap jumper shrunk in the wash one too many times. I love the colours and the mock fair isle pattern, so it seemed such a waste to throw it away. I had a search through all of my magazines and books and I couldn’t find a tutorial that would use it. We went out shopping and I saw some lovely little Fair Isle leggings for the toddler. Then it hit me, I would make some from my jumper. I had seen adults do it with extra large jumpers, so I would do a mini version.
I took my jumper and cut off the sleeves. Then I used some leggings she already has as a template to see how far down to cut the gusset.
I sewed the gusset together and almost had a pair of trousers, just needed a way of keeping them up.
I sewed the original collar to the top of the trousers so I had a little more material to work with. I took a piece of elastic and measured it around the toddler’s waste. Then I folded over the top of the trousers, creating a channel that’s wide enough to fit the elastic through. I pinned and stitched it, leaving a 2 inch gap. I then fed the elastic through using a safety pin and stitched it together. Then I stitched the opening closed. Ta dah! Free trousers!!!
She doesn’t sit still for long, so this was the best picture I could get, straight from the machine! But what happened to the rest of the jumper…..?
Just a quick one! I got free bamboo knitting pins with my copy of Simply Knitting. These are supposed to be pins that hold the knitting together as you sew it. Being someone who always likes to give things a new lease of life, I turned them into this
A teeny tiny knitting brooch. All I did was case on twenty stitches with a little bit of wool, and garter stitched. I glued the stitches on the back to keep them on the pins, glued the pins together to secure them, and then attached a brooch back. Used up some yarn AND made myself a bit of knitting jewellery. I’m pretty pleased with that! Got a necklace I’m working on too…
It is very frustrating to live in a house you cannot decorate when you have so many ideas on the subject. As it is, we rent the property we live in, and we are required to keep it looking the same way it did as we moved in. To try and get round this, I keep trying to create ‘feature’ walls in each room to break up the bland magnolia décor.
I had taken some plates down from a shelf where I had been displaying them in order to clear some clutter. Having no where to put them, I decided to use them in a slightly eclectic feature wall in the dining room. Our dining room is a little neglected. The front door is in the dining room, so it’s the first room you walk into. This means it’s also where we keep the shoes, as well as Amelia’s toy box and my sewing machine and craft things, including boxes of fabrics. The area was feeling cluttered, but the walls looked bare, so I took the plates and a couple of cross stitches and an embroidery that I couldn’t find a place for. To add to this, I took two embroidery hoops and mounted some nice fabric I had been holding on to. I’m pretty pleased with the result, and the new feature didn’t cost me a penny!
Our dining table was looking a little sad. Everything else was decorated, but I had nothing for it. I’ve been toying with the idea of attaching together some doilies and pot holder I had crocheted to make a centrepiece. As this was arranged on the table, I decided to make think about a decoration to go with it. Continue reading →
We have built in wardrobes, and mine happens to be on an outside wall, so it can get a little damp in there. This often means that it starts to get a little fusty. Not an ideal place to store clothes. Continue reading →
As if I need an excuse! Last week my mum picked up an awesome ‘shabby chic’ water jug from a car boot sale. Obviously I thought this was the perfect thing to store my knitting needles in. I was right of course, but this made my knitting needle case obsolete. Continue reading →
As I have probably mentioned before, I made a lot of bunting for our wedding (I know, that’s the last time I promise). There was tons of scraps from cutting out the triangles, but it seemed such a shame to throw so much away. I had a look on Pinterest for ideas and found a few posts that were about making fabric yardage out of scraps. Being the thrifty type I liked this idea, so I had a root around to see what I had. Continue reading →
I love anything that is reduced. Whether it’s clothes, food, books, DVDs, toys, or most importantly, craft items. I can spend hours searching through a big bin of sample fabrics and off cuts. Problem is, sometimes I end up coming home with something and just not knowing what to do with it. When I was sorting out the fabric for my new storage box (see last post-it’s full now by the way) I came across one of these little finds.