Whilst sorting through our stuff (yes, this process is taking forever) I decided I really should do something about my endless supply of vintage linen. Doilies, place mats, napkins, handkerchiefs, the list goes on and on and I just didn’t think I’d be able to use all of it. I’ve already sold a lot of my lace trims, and I’ve given other stuff away, but what about these larger items? We used a lot of them for our wedding, so I was struggling to part with them. I was laying them out on the table to go through them when it occurred to me that they would make a great patchwork, and as we don’t have a tablecloth, it seemed like the ideal thing to make!
I positioned them all out on the table and pinned them together. I then ran them through the machine, zig zagging them together. This probably wasn’t the correct way to do it, there was a bit of buckling and ruching, but hey! I’m still learning! The result is a little rough around the edges, but I like it that way, and more importantly, I used my linen for something genuinely useful!
It is very frustrating to live in a house you cannot decorate when you have so many ideas on the subject. As it is, we rent the property we live in, and we are required to keep it looking the same way it did as we moved in. To try and get round this, I keep trying to create ‘feature’ walls in each room to break up the bland magnolia décor.
I had taken some plates down from a shelf where I had been displaying them in order to clear some clutter. Having no where to put them, I decided to use them in a slightly eclectic feature wall in the dining room. Our dining room is a little neglected. The front door is in the dining room, so it’s the first room you walk into. This means it’s also where we keep the shoes, as well as Amelia’s toy box and my sewing machine and craft things, including boxes of fabrics. The area was feeling cluttered, but the walls looked bare, so I took the plates and a couple of cross stitches and an embroidery that I couldn’t find a place for. To add to this, I took two embroidery hoops and mounted some nice fabric I had been holding on to. I’m pretty pleased with the result, and the new feature didn’t cost me a penny!
A little while ago I did a craft fair and also taught a crochet workshop at a local church where we go to Toddler Time. I had a lovely time, and some of the women genuinely picked it up and did a great job, but it was very stressful trying to teach quite a few people at different times and all with different skills.